Getting your hair done at the salon is expensive and time-consuming. The foundation of any great hairstyle is clean, detangled hair. Start by washing and conditioning your hair with salon-quality products free of sulfates, parabens, and silicones that can cause buildup. After shampooing, apply a moisturizing hair mask to boost shine and smoothness once clean, comb through with a wide toothcomb or wet brush to banish knots and tangles. The right tools make a big difference. Invest in a ceramic tourmaline dryer and quality round brush. Velcro rollers are also great for giving hair bounce and body.
DIY shine and smoothing treatments
Get glossy, frizz-free hair with homemade masks and rinses. For brilliant shine, combine an egg yolk with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Apply to damp hair and leave on for 20 minutes before your normal wash routine. Prevent flyaways and smooth strands with a smoothing avocado mask. Mash up half an avocado and mix with 1 tablespoon honey. Apply to dry hair and distribute evenly before rinsing out after 15 minutes fort lauderdale hair salons.
Apple cider vinegar is amazing for adding light reflective shine. After shampooing, rinse with 1/4 cup ACV diluted in 2 cups water. For deeper nourishment, let the mixture soak on damp hair for a few minutes before the final rinse. For a quick gloss treatment, brew black tea, let it cool, and then rinse through clean hair after washing. The tannins in tea temporarily coat the hair to boost shine and manageability. No time for a full treatment? A few drops of argan, coconut, or olive oil add instant polish to dry ends. Apply to damp hair and style as usual.
Simple hair styling tricks
Elevate your usual look with these easy styling tips:
- Amp up side parts or ponytails by misting hair with texture spray first for grit and hold. Twist larger sections rather than smoothing them flat when pulling back hair.
- Disguise grown-out roots by parting and styling hair off-center, instead of a harsh straight part. The shift in part works with your new growth.
- For beachy waves, mist damp hair with sea salt spray. Scrunch into hair and let air dry.
- Add volume at the crown with velcro or clip-in rollers. Roll them into the front sections of your hair, let them set, and then remove them.
- Cover grey roots at home with temporary root concealer sprays or colored dry shampoo. Apply to the new growth and brush through for seamless coverage until you can see your colorist.
Get the look of fresh color
In between salon visits, give color-treated hair a boost:
- Shampoo with a color-safe, sulfate-free formula to keep dye vibrant.
- Once a week, swap conditioner for a restorative hair mask. The extra moisture prevents color fading.
- Brush hair with a boar bristle brush to evenly distribute the hair’s natural oils and keep the color looking rich.
- Use an at-home glossing treatment weekly in between color appointments.
- Avoid chlorine and salt water that can Strip color. Always wet hair before swimming and rinse immediately after to minimize fading.